Sunday 1 November 2009






What a difference some digging makes !!

There are two people in my life who I totally tip my hat to. My lovely fiance, Colin, and my learned colleague Dave Allen (he's in the blue t-shirt). The allotment looks so different, thanks to them, and I am less likely to say 'that's it, i've had enough!'

Both worked very hard clearing ground ready for pea and bean beds. I carried on with the border unaware of the work going on behind me, then WOW! They had cleared at least 8m x 3m. Thanks guys - you have made this little woman very happy.
We also said goodbye to most of the sprouts. For some reason the actual fruit looked like they had exploded, and were not the nice tight sprouts they should have been. The trusty allotment sage, John Harrison on Allotment.org, has given me the reason why - "Blown Sprouts, this is caused by not enough nutrients in the soil." Its as simple as that. I know we didn't prepare the soil - we just planted them and hoped for the best. Sprouts need nitrogen, found in manure, fish blood and bone mix, or green manure like clover or lupins. I will take this on board for next year to make the perfect bed for my cabbages and brocolli.

My pumpkin, Stan, is still growing - he has doubled in size since last I spoke about him. It will be time to eat Stan soon to give the others a fighting chance. At the moment he is soaking up all the water and nutrients.

I also took this fabulous picture of sprout leaves with rain water on them. Nature is so beautiful, don't you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment