Friday 20 November 2009

I was honoured to go to London last Tuesday on behalf of where I work (the Family Information Service) to the Daycare Trust conference. This was looking at the quality and cost of childcare over the country. It was held at One Great George Street, about 200 yards from Westminster itself. This building is the headquarters of the Institute of Civil Engineers, and I was in my element, surrounded by paintings the most famous engineers of all - Watt, Arkwright, Darby. All from the era of canals, steam railways and cotton mills.


After the conference I decided to walk back to the train station. Its a direct route through Whitehall, Charing Cross Road and Tottenham Court Road to Euston Station. It's a fair walk but the weather was fine and I was on my own, so could enjoy what I wanted to do.
I did feel very humble when walking up Whitehall. Its home to the Ministry of Defence, Downing Street and Horseguards Parade, but most famous of all for the Cenotaph where our Queen lays her poppy wreath each 11th November. And as you can see from the picture, I have never seen so many wreaths anywhere.Makes you realise how many people do remember the people who fought and died for our country, whether you agree with war or not.

On a brighter note, I passed Shaftsbury Avenue - the heart of West End theatre. Home to Les Miserables, Blood Brothers and Patricia Queen of the Desert. If you dont go to see the show, you can marvel at the stunning stilletto outside. Wow !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment